The open strings all have names, just like any other note. Knowing the notes of the open strings are the foundation to learn the rest of the notes. Here are the open strings:
- The 6th string is the THICKEST string and is often called the Low E string.
- The 5th string is the next one down. This is called the A string.
- The 4th string is also called the D string.
- The 3rd string is also called the G string.
- The 2nd string is also called the B string.
- The 1st string is the THINNEST string. We call this string the E string or sometimes the high E string.