Hi, I’m Kevin

• Creator
    Discussion

Kevin
    Participant

I’m 66 and live in Fort Edward, NY. I started taking lessons at the beginning of last year, so 19 months now. I was trying to learn on my own during Covid and really didn’t know what I was doing. My instructor got me playing songs and I wish I’d done that learning on my own or had come here. There’s a lot of great tutorials on YouTube. Seems like no excuse not to learn.

Anyway, this seems like a really great supplement to in-person lessons. I play an acoustic guitar and probably would be happy staying with that. Love classical guitar though and might want to do that down the road.

I read a book everyday called The Daily Stoic. Today’s entry was from Epictetus and I’ll share it. “We don’t abandon our pursuits because we despair of ever perfecting them.”

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Welcome Kevin. Great book! I also enjoyed Ryan’s book Obstacle Is The Way. If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend Mastery by George Leonard. I’m just finishing it now for the second time and it really speaks to someone learning a skill like guitar.

Kevin

Thanks for those recommendations, Tomas. I haven’t read either of them. I love the expression “The obstacle is the way,” tho. Playing guitar seems like a good part of a well-rounded philosophy.