Hello From Oklahoma

• Creator
    Discussion

Brian
    Participant

Name is Brian I am 54 and happily married to my wife and live in Oklahoma.

January 29th I bought my first acoustic guitar so at time of this post only been playing it five days.

I did play in my Youth age 18,19 to around early mid 20s. I was into Joe Satriana Steve Vai, and main stream rock. I was lead fusion and touch of neo classical but never really known for being rhythm player as I could play leads forever but rythm was more like licks or short progressions for me.

While I was a musician I since my youth I have not really listened to music on the radio much though I like country music now a lot more. However I have very broad taste that when I focus on music and it can go from jaz, to classical to Spanish to about anything that I think is cool.

I am very creative I can here a drop of water fall or an insect make noise or basically anything make noise and if it has any type of pattern to it I can create music around it. Leads and rhythms so I guess I do have a gift for creation and imagination as I can do this with words and stories to. However, I do absolutely nothing with it but it can be emotional release which is nice. Imagination and feel of music is only skills I have cannot draw anything but stick figures.

I have more problems learning other peoples music than creating my own and have to put more work into it to learn and imprint into my memory.

I have ADHD though I not sure I feeling the physical part much at 54 so that has slowed down and I am a bit OCD I will tap fingers or do repetitive stuff over alot though not to the point its odd in society just more annoying if I do it to loudly (according to my wife lol). This gave me focus issues and focus is part of memorization and learning so that was tough as younger person.

I am Network Engineer and Architect now and very happy in life and have a very big puppy dog or bear personality hard to make mad not easily offended and love to be humorous and playful. I love learning my entire life is built around that as well as curiosity and pursuit of knowledge.

I can be afraid of being misunderstood so I can be very detailed with information or writing and I am a huge collaborator and communicator. work from home don’t get out much or around people other than my close family. Obviously I can be prone to writing walls of text lol…

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Brian.
  • Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Brian. Welcome to RGS. Thank you for the in-depth introduction. It’s great to get to know you.

I think I have you all sorted out now with the forum. For some reason it got flagged as spam. I didn’t know that was a possibility but I learn something new everyday. My tech support asked me to monitor your replies and let them know if everything’s working now.

I’m curious what kinds of music do you listen to and what styles would you like to play?

Brian

During one post it failed and perhaps me refreshing and hitting submit again caused issue.

I love almost all music! I love the stuff you play that has jazzy feel and that Spanish sounding stuff. Here is a list of Music types:

Country

Classical

Jaz

Blues

older Rock of 90s back to Elvis!

I like most everything except thrash Metal and RAP.

I have an infinity towards haunting melodies and minor keys.

I have interest in becoming advanced with the 9th, 13ths Chords as well as 7ths.

I use to like some metal like metalica, QueensRhyche, Janes Addiction was awesome but I don’t like anti God stuff I am very strong believer in God, but I loved their music but was a bit bothered by titles like three days.

Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, some of my favorite bands though I learned about them much later in the 90s.

As kid I grew up in country we didnt really listen to music I was out in woods all time with the dogs so my mom had some Christian albums and Freddy Fender which I like but have not listened to since then as well as Elvis. So I was late bloomer

My favorite artist gun slingers where Joe Satrina and his Album surfacing with the alien. Steve Vai because of his unpredictability and his crazy songs and I loved Yngwie Malmsteen Classical leads and the classical part of stuff.

P.S. post a bit all over had to rush as at work and busy today!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Brian.

Brian

So today I was lucky enough to get enough grumbling compliance from my wife to go out and finally get my electric guitar. After playing alot of high end guitars I finally chose a American Fender Ultra Luxe. It played as smooth as silk and just fit my hands personally and it was love when I held it. Very happy 🙂

Below I posted some pics

Brian

here is the case it came in as well just lovely instrument.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Brian.