DaveJay – An American in Switzerland

SIGNUP-main FREE-3 RGS Community Forums (Archive) Introduce Yourself… DaveJay – An American in Switzerland

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Discussion

DaveJay
    Participant

Hi, this is Dave Jellison, from Zurich, Switzerland.

I’m picking up guitar again, after a 30 year lapse.  I am most interested in Fingerstyle, and therefore a steel-stringed acoustic guitar (Martin OO-DB), but I also like classical guitar (and have a nice Picado), but also have an electric guitar (Fender/Roland G-5) to fool around with.

I am currently in Switzerland, a Mechanical Engineer working on engineering software, employed by Siemens on projects all over Europe.  Previously in Denver, Colorado, but have lived in Cincinnati; Bonn, Germany; Huntsville, AL; Dallas; and much more.

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Dave,

Welcome! Great to have you here.

I like to see someone who takes action right away (the mug is in the mail).

Wow… you really get around. I am curious how you like Zurich?

I look forward to supporting you here with your guitar playing goals. Along with anything else you work on I’d encourage you to spend at least 10 minutes a day on the Practice Plan for the month.

Feel free to let me know here in the forum if I can offer any additional guidance.

Tomas

DaveJay

<div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>Thanks for the personal reply.</div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”></div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>How do I like Zurich?  I LOVE it!!  My kids are grown, 2 in LA and one just moved to Dallas, so my wife and I are free to go where we like.  My work took me to Switzerland, and now I am staying here and flying around Europe on projects – frankly to much more interesting places than doing the same job from Denver.  My wife comes with me often – and then I come home to Zurich and our view of the lake and mountains for the weekend.</div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”></div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>I’ve lived a LOT of places in the USA – and my father and most of my family is in or from California.  San Francisco and the Bay Area has its attractions, but with the home costs and the traffic, neither the Bay Area nor LA hold any interest for me anymore – as a place to live – over living in Switzerland or even Denver.  Even with my brother as a Real Estate agent in SF.</div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>Meanwhile, I am enjoying your lessons – and making progress.</div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>Thanks,</div>
    <div style=”color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”>Dave Jellison</div>

DaveJay

Thanks for the personal reply.

How do I like Zurich?  I LOVE it!!  My kids are grown, 2 in LA and one just moved to Dallas, so my wife and I are free to go where we like.  My work took me to Switzerland, and now I am staying here and flying around Europe on projects – frankly to much more interesting places than doing the same job from Denver.  My wife comes with me often – and then I come home to Zurich and our view of the lake and mountains for the weekend.

I’ve lived a LOT of places in the USA – and my father and most of my family is in or from California.  San Francisco and the Bay Area has its attractions, but with the home costs and the traffic, neither the Bay Area nor LA hold any interest for me anymore – as a place to live – over living in Switzerland or even Denver.  Even with my brother as a Real Estate agent in SF.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying your lessons – and making progress.

Thanks,

Dave Jellison

David

You definitely picked the right spot!

Welcome !

Jack

DaveJay

Tomas,

Just wanted to let you know that the coffee cup arrived here in Switzerland a couple days ago.  Didn’t expect it so quickly, because packages often go through Customs and are usually accompanied by a Customs bill by the time they arrive weeks later.

But it sailed right through with no delay or bill this time.

Much more valuable is the benefit and growing confidence I am getting from your lessons.

Thanks, DaveJay

Tomas
    Administrator

Thanks for letting me know DaveJay.

That’s great!

– Tomas