Chord Changes

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Discussion

[email protected]
    Participant

Tomas:
    I still struggle the an open chord change.
    That is from D to C. This is common in your fingerpicking lessons.
    Do you have a tip? I practice it every day. It’s better…but
    Jack

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Yes, I do.

The D to the C is a common change. Also it involves moving around ALL the fingers.

1) You might want to try an alternative version of the C that I use in this lesson. It sounds really good and the change is easier. It’s just good to have in your repertoire.

2) I’ve tried many tricks with changing chords… All these things like pivot fingers, common notes, etc. but over time (45 years teaching and going strong) I came to realize that there’s something better than relying on crutches. That’s to take advantage of our natural ability to program physical movements.

That said I created some lessons that really emphasize that. For you it will seem like a review, but I think if you’re willing to spend time on these lessons it will help you moving forward tremendously. It’s the concepts I want you to learn more than the actual chord forms and tunes.

I think you can start here: https://realguitarsuccess.com/lessons/week-3/

Then progress through the following lessons.

If you feel you’ve missed something and you’re up for more review, go back and quickly go through the previous lessons.

Let me now how it goes.

Tomas

Week #3

Deleted User
    Deleted User

Hi Tomas:

Prior to signing up to your program, I discovered the G chord uses either fingers 2,3,& 4 or 3,4,& pinkie. I now find I slip into using both – especially when changing from C to G and back. Am I creating a problem for myself? – Should I persevere with just one of these  at this early stage of my learning?

Ian

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Ian,

Good question.

If you find that yourself fumbling with G it might be a good idea to spend some time working on one form and getting it up to snuff… like this exercise https://realguitarsuccess.com/lessons/c-g-chords/

I’m thinking possibly 5 minutes a day for about a week kind a thing.

But you are gonna need both of these forms anyway. Sounds like what you’re doing is fine if it’s not creating undue stress.

BTW… we usually call finger “4” the pinky… so the fingering would be either 1, 2 & 3 or 2, 3 & 4.  We don’t number the thumb… even though you might use it occasionally.

I understand what you mean anyways. Just wanted you to know.

C & G Chords